Re: Ethical basics

From: Michael Roy Ames (michaelroyames@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 14:23:25 MST

Simon McClenahan wrote:
< You already have the potential to do all of these things without waiting
for the Singularity. >

I would have to disagree with that. People have a wide variety of
potentials when it comes to control/manipulate/change of thier emotional
state. My self-assessment is that I am merely 'average' in this depertment.
  I would rather have total control. Now, that does not mean that I would
'switch off' all of my emothions all of the time, but it does mean that I
could choose my level of 'emotional exposure' (for want of a better term).
Also, while most people currently have the ability to control thier emotions
to some (debatably large) extent, doing so is not without effort. Rather,
it takes a great deal of discipline and work to accomplish total, or
near-total, emotional control.

Simon McClenahan wrote:
< The post-Singularity digital existence is only going to be an enhancement
or addition to your current emotional state, not necessarily replace or even
control any undesirable feelings you experience now. >

That's not the kind of singularity I would *ever* buy into. I want to be
able to reprogram myself any which way I choose. *All* of my source code
will be have to modifiable, the emotional source code included, before I
upload. This is going to be essential to my accepting upload willingly. If
I don't have control over my own program, then who will? :-/

Michael Roy Ames