Re: Ethical basics

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 21:15:19 MST

Gordon Worley wrote:

> This was originally named Rational Thinkers, but I realized that we
> needed a list for a discussion of broader range of topics that have
> shown up on SL4 that aren't necessarily SL4 issues, but issues of ethics
> and cognitive science that are of interest even without the
> Singularity. To that end, Singularitarian Ethics is a list just for the
> discussion of the aforementioned topics, not the Singularity in general
> (that's what SL4 is for). Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I'm not
> trying to take traffic away from SL4, but just allow for the discussion
> of things that are of interest to SL4 folks that aren't of an SL4
> nature. If you want to get into a long discussion about evolutionary
> psychology, sing_ethics is the place.

I don't think there are any Singularity-related ethical issues that are
inappropriate for SL4 - but surprisingly, some people seem to disagree! I
would rate the ethics of the Singularity as one of the major, recurring,
and entirely appropriate issues for SL4. But if the rest of the list
thinks this is my private passion and not something they're interested in,
the moderator can but obey... I'd probably want to hear from others
besides Ben and Gordon, though.

In other words, I liked the original title of "Rational Thinkers" better.
<smile>.