Re: the singularity is *really* near (just 4.25 years away)

From: Dan Clemmensen (dgc@cox.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 07:50:40 MST

Damien Broderick wrote:

> At 11:58 AM 1/19/02 -0500, Dan Clemmensen wrote:
>

>>AI may not be the
>>only path to SI. I feel that we'll get SI via human-computer
>>collaboration.
>>

> By May 2006, right? Do you feel the hot breath of time on your neck, Dan?
> Still standing by that prediction?
>
> Damien Broderick

Yes. As silly as it sounds, I'll stick to it. I feel that the
infrastructure for collaborative computing is building even more
rapidly than I originally thought, so when the actual software
becomes available, the change will be precipitous.

Infra-structure: high-speed network, computing power on that
network, and an enhanced ability to take over that computing power. This
means that anyone who has a use for it and doesn't mind breaking the
rules can control a million computers. All we need is software.