Re: Steve Harris, "Return of the Krell Machine" (Singularity Article)

From: Dan Clemmensen (dgc@cox.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jan 19 2002 - 14:07:33 MST

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think we largely agree conceptually, we just differ on estimates of
> various quantitative amounts (*how much* improvement can be achieved through
> groupware and non-AI search tools, *how hard* will it be to get to real AI
> without substantially improved such tools, etc.)...

Agreed. It's refreshing to rapidly converge on our differences without
a lot of diversionary rhetoric. Is it worthwhile to attempt to quantify
these estimates on both our parts? I'll try here, but I realize that
I'm operating from little more than gut feeling, and I'll understand it
if you don't wish to play this game..

I've been a systems architect/programmer for 30 years. I've seen only a
modest improvement in software development productivity in this time,
with most improvement at the lowest ( i.e., lexical and syntactical)
levels (better editors, compilers, and languages.) attempts at
higher level improvements (CASE tools, etc.) have mostly failed. However
I find that my productivity has begun improving over the last few years
for two main reasons: the avauilability of open-source software, and the
availability of search engines. Neither of these is actually designed to
enhance software development productivity. What if we now explicitly
try to build tools to build on the open-source base by using tuned
search engines? There are several scattered efforts, but I know of no
integrated effort with this as an explicit goal. I feel that
productivity could easily triple, and that this could lead to (another)
qualitative change in the nature of software development. If this gut
feeling is correct, then I believe rapid feedback will commence as we
apply the techniques to enhancing the techniques.

I feel that this could happen at any time and is likely sometime in the
next four years. ("Likely" means 90% probability.)