Re: Alpha-Point computing

From: Damien Broderick (d.broderick@english.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 21:36:06 MST

At 08:04 AM 1/17/02 -0800, Paul Hughes wrote:

>It's funny you should mention all this.

Well, not all *that* funny--he was responding to your question. :)

>Many
>years ago I had the same notion, although less
>rigorously articulated, that there may have been
>enough computation taking place in the first Planck
>instant for some kind of sentience to emerge. An idle
>speculation really. More funny still is I recently
>asked Damien Broderick about this when he mentioned it
>briefly during his interview on Kurzweil.net.

I advanced it in a series of posts on rec.arts.sf.science in mid-1996,
where I dubbed it `The Very Fast Evolution Machine' (and I recycled and
elaborated that discussion in THE SPIKE, versions 1 and 2). Paul and
Eliezer might well have beaten me to the punch.

Damien Broderick