Re: Open Mind Common Sense project

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Sun Jan 06 2002 - 09:22:44 MST

On Sunday, January 6, 2002, at 10:07 AM, Ben Goertzel wrote:

> They are collecting data but like mindpixel have no particular idea as
> what the hell to do with all
> the natural language data they've collected. At least, this was the
> state
> of things when Pushpinder gave us a
> talk in late 1999 or early 2000 (can't remember which)..
>
>> Another web-based attempt to collect common sense. This one from Push
>> Singh at the MIT Medialab.
>>
>> http://www.kurzweilai.net/email/artRedirect.html?artID=371&m=405
>> --
>> Brian Atkins

I'm not trolling, but I'm curious, in the opinion of those of you
working on Real AI, how necessary is a collection of common sense to
seed AI and other approaches? While I can understand how it could be
useful, I'm asking if we can do without. Also, does anyone know if
these collections are being careful not to put in info slanted by
anthropomorphic thinking? While I think some things they'd obviously be
smart enough not to include, like information about how to use a left
hand, might too much information about emotions, for example, pollute
the AI with notions that seem right to us but are actually false. Thus,
the AI would have been better off in that case with no info at all and
have to learn on its own about human emotions from observation.

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose