Re: The inevitability of death, or the death of inevitability?

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Sat Dec 29 2001 - 16:09:23 MST

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> BUT -- I guess the problem with the word "faith", Samantha, is that it often
> goes along
> with the idea that *some things should not be rationally questioned.* If
> you have
> faith in life after death, you should not even consider rational arguments
> against
> it.

Sure. Of course that isn't the particular aspect I was using.
There is a place when attempting to create something highly
original and of questionable possibility where one does need to
keep assuming it is possible in order to go on. The point where
it is finally accepted as impossible should not be arrived at
too soon. I have certainly succeeded at building systems that
all the "best" expertise claimed were impossible. Sometimes it
might even be said that my success was predicated on ignoring
some arguments about impossibility and simply getting down to
the business of seeing if I could find a way. At times, even
ignorance of what "the literature says" can be a blessing.

- samantha