Re: Status of Flare?

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 02:42:44 MDT

SCN User wrote:

> Emil Gilliam wrote on Tues, 23 October 2001:
> > As this list has been silent for a few days, I'll bring it back
> > to life with a simple question -- how's Flare coming along? [...]
>
> Since I gather that Flare will be first a programming language
> and then perhaps afterwards an AI coded in the Flare language,

Flare is a general language and a drive to move on to more powerful types
of programming tools so that humanity doesn't bog down in coding problems
over the next decade or so; particularly, of course, the problem of coding
AI. But why are you creating a webpage about this if you don't know
anything about Flare? And if you think you can program your AI in Forth,
what on Earth do you need Flare for?

I'm glad to see that your page doesn't imply any connection whatever
between you and Flare... and that you have pages for other languages as
well, so that Flare isn't being singled out... but I also don't like your
tendency to coopt everything in sight into the tangled web of associations
that is your bizarre theory of AI. Oh, well, at least we're in so much
company that hopefully nobody will hold it against SIAI.