Re: Singularity graphics

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 02:55:37 MDT

Damien Broderick wrote:

> At 12:06 AM 10/11/01 -0400, Brian Atkins wrote:
>
> >I'm still looking for people to shoot down the "helping hand" logo with
> >the digital hand reaching down to pull up the human hand. So far all I
> >have heard is Eliezer's complaints...
>
> Because it's God, God, bloody God, and Adam, jeez Brian, haven't you ever
> seen a picture of the Sistine Chapel?

I regret to confess that I actually suggested using the
Sistine-Chapel-style motif, again lacking the upbringing to have an
allergy to Christian symbolism. Brian was careful to specify that the
helping hand and rising hand should *not* be, e.g., touching fingers with
a spark in a center. A regular handclasp might work. So might a pair of
hands separated and not posed in the same way as the Sistine painting.

That's what Brian says, at any rate; personally, now that I've been
repeatedly hit over the head with the point that religious imagery is not
just reusable clipart, I think that any "hands reaching" image is likely
to evoke that Sistine Chapel thing.