Re: New Term: Apexmind?

From: Brian Atkins (brian@posthuman.com)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 20:13:11 MDT

"Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" wrote:

> On the other hand, I think the term "apexmind" may provoke a negative
> reaction. Humans have a certain instinctive interpretation of hierarchies
> and the things that appear to be living at the top of them, and that is
> precisely *not* what a Sysop (for example) really is. A Sysop is
> substrate, not commander.
>
> "Apex", to me, connotes "on top". A singleton isn't the one on top of the
> social hierarchy, but is rather the only one on the bottommost layer of
> reality.

Right, not only that, but for me when I hear about a "mind" I automatically
tend to think of something more like myself. It just leads to some nasty
anthropomorphic reactions in most people I would bet. I would prefer to
stay away from any kind of term implying that something is thinking about
and judging and controlling reality- we need to imply something more
"clockwork" like Unix Reality (UR).

> Incidentally, should we maybe be using the term "artificial reality"
> instead of "simulation"? When I think of a "simulated person", I think of
> ultra-advanced nonsentient chatbot wallpaper, not a real person who
> happens to run on programmable superneurons instead of the biological
> kind. In other words, "simulated" to me connotes a different
> implementation, not just the same real thing in a different substrate.

Well artificial rings of being both "not as good as the original" and
"different than the original" for me. What about "emulated reality" (ER)?

--
Brian Atkins
http://www.intelligence.org/