Re: New Term: Apexmind?

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 19:02:04 MDT

At 8:23 PM -0400 10/8/01, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
>Incidentally, should we maybe be using the term "artificial reality"
>instead of "simulation"? When I think of a "simulated person", I think of
>ultra-advanced nonsentient chatbot wallpaper, not a real person who
>happens to run on programmable superneurons instead of the biological
>kind. In other words, "simulated" to me connotes a different
>implementation, not just the same real thing in a different substrate.

My only concern with this is that the term 'artificial reality' may
get confused with why is meant by 'Unix Reality'. After all, Unix
Reality is, literally, artificial, but not a simulation in the way
you mean it, but a layer between real reality and the Friendly
reality of Sysop Space.

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose