RE: Time and Minds/Big Daddy

From: Xavier Lumine (dmyshkin@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 10:36:09 MDT

>The brain power necessary for this will
>probably find these words to be irritating. So I'll get back to my own
>work.

I am deeply disturbed and frightened by this comment.

I often find self-describing 'bystanders' posting on this list, following
their often important thought with something along the lines of "but I'm no
one to speak" or "I probably don't know what I'm talking about" or "I'm
getting back to my work because the people who actually write AI will sneer
at my post". The individuals on the Friendly AI project under the
Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence are not superhuman. We are
a small team of computer programmers, self-educated cognitive scientists and
ethusiasts. Although I will not dispute that bright engineers and designers
are necessary to create true Friendly AI, we are still people with an
incomplete view of the world and posts to this list are not laffable nor
shunned.

I am always happy and interested to read the various essays and viewpoints
posted here. Please, all future posters, do not terminate your messages with
"I'm getting back to work, I am unimportant" or something similar because
that only causes me distress.

Dmitriy Myshkin