NIH's Neural Prosthetics Program (was RE: Minksy Talk)

From: Ben Houston (ben@exocortex.org)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 11:57:58 MDT

Brian Phillips said:
> It would be nice to be able to do a Neurology residency
> or a clinical electophysiology Fellowship without the focus on
> epilepsy and pathology, and instead spead that time working
> on understanding the problems facing implants in healthy patients.
> I would give my left testicle (literally) for a Fellowship in
prosthetic
> medicine...but it ain't happening...

There's jobs in neural prosthetics... who said there wasn't? There's
even a moderately sized program out of NIH supporting such work for a
couple of years now:
  http://npp.ninds.nih.gov/

Of course NIH isn't about transhumanism so you'll have to focus on
helping disabled people but that's a good starting point and probably
more useful in the near term. It will have useful transhuman offshoots
given time -- I think that you're trying to do things in the wrong
order.

Brian Phillips said:
> Whine whine whine.....

I think that you are whining about nothing -- you're simply not
informed.

I myself plan to get involved in this area...

Cheers,
-ben houston
http://www.exocortex.org/~ben

Behalf