No-spoiler review of A.I.

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 21:27:16 MDT

(As this is a no-spoiler review, any replies containing spoilers should
change the subject line.)

This movie was nowhere near as bad as I had feared. The movie time was
8PM; they only really screwed up twice, once at 9:48 and once at 10:28.
Overall, I'd rate the quality of the AI as matching Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo
2040 or the extended Ultimate DVD Edition of Terminator 2, which set the
previous record for the realistic depiction of AI. It really looked like
somebody sat down and worked out how an infrahuman AI would behave and
respond, instead of the writers just vomiting anthropomorphisms into the
script. On the whole, the quality of depiction of AI was consistent with
what I would have expected of a fairly good science fiction novel, not
what I would have expected from Hollywood.

(The above paragraph is my equivalent of a rave review.)

As for the movie itself, I'll give the movie four stars; some judicious
editing could easily have raised this rating to four and half stars.
Worth seeing.