RE: Unambiguous Language WAS: MEME: A.I.: Artificial Intelligence

From: Ben Houston (ben@exocortex.org)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 19:53:50 MDT

Hi sir,

> PL0 - complete non-definition, pre-reality, quantum vacuum, etc.
> PL1 - formation of subatomic particles & light, stable quantum
waves
> PL2 - formation of atoms and molecules

I don't think this fits with the last few levels. Although maybe it
does in some way that I do not understand.

> PL3 - formation of self-propagating chemical reacions,
coacervates
> PL4 - formation of bilogical cells, bacteria, viri
> PL5 - formation of multicellular organisms and hormonal control
> mechanisms
> PL6 - establishment of neurological control, neurological
reflexes,
> instinct, insect intelligence
> PL7 - establishment of social function, emotions, basic
communities
> PL8 - birth of logical capability, reason, ballistic ability,
> information age

The above seems to be the history of evolution as proposed in many
textbooks on general evolution and systems theory. I agree with it.

But I do not understand what you mean by "ballistic ability". Could you
clarify?

> PL9 - beginning of transhumanity, hyperlogic, metaphysics, non-
> individuality

Hyperlogic? The prefix "hyper" means "more than normal". Thus we get
hyperactive, hyperthermia, etc... Do you really mean to say more
"logical than normal"?

Transhumanity is something that most would agree with.

Metaphysics? Could you explain? I thought that people have always been
working on various metaphysics. Aristotle being one of the first.

Non-individuality. Well maybe. If you mean that future entities will
be more formless then I would agree with you. But I think that there
will still be recognizable entities in the future -- all sentient like
will not merge into one single being.

Cheers,
-ben houston
http://www.exocortex.org/~ben

Behalf
> Of sunrise2000@mediaone.net
> Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 4:48 PM
> To: sl4@sysopmind.com
> Subject: Re: Unambiguous Language WAS: MEME: A.I.: Artificial
Intelligence

> [...]
into
> play.
> Each successive paradigm level is more successful at controlling the
> outcome of
> events in lower levels: i.e., logic (pl8) can predict the outcome of
> chemical
> reactions (PL2). each successive paradigm level generally operates in
the
> realm
> of its paradigm level, as well as all paradigm levels below it. For
> example,
> engineering a nuclear reactor depends upon a specified nuclear
chemistry
> (PL1),
> molecular chemistry (PL2), resistance from anti-nuke potesters (PL7 &
> PL8), and
> building and control technology (PL8). I would love to know what comes
> after PL9.
>
> PL0 - complete non-definition, pre-reality, quantum vacuum, etc.
> PL1 - formation of subatomic particles & light, stable quantum
waves
> PL2 - formation of atoms and molecules
> PL3 - formation of self-propagating chemical reacions,
coacervates
> PL4 - formation of bilogical cells, bacteria, viri
> PL5 - formation of multicellular organisms and hormonal control
> mechanisms
> PL6 - establishment of neurological control, neurological
reflexes,
> instinct, insect intelligence
> PL7 - establishment of social function, emotions, basic
communities
> PL8 - birth of logical capability, reason, ballistic ability,
> information age
> PL9 - beginning of transhumanity, hyperlogic, metaphysics, non-
> individuality
>
> Clearly, we are now in PL8: the age of reason. When we reach
singularity,
> we will be in PL9. What, we must ask, is (will be) hyperlogic? Can the
> amoeba contemplate calculus? Even multicellularism? How can we figure
out
> what the operative paradigm will be in PL9? Language will be at a
lower
> Paradigm Level. Logic will be at a lower Paradigm Level. My best
guess, as
> of yet, is that the existence of communication and syntax will blur
with
> operation and function, repsectively. Any ideas? It looks like that's
> where this thread is going, anyway.
>
> Regarding the ambiguitiy of languages, humans are not purely logical
> creatures.
> They will use english words in other-than their literal meaning (i.e.,
in
> metaphor). This means that, unless the language is applied exclusively
> above PL7, it MUST be ambiguous. And, regarding the construction of
> completely unambiguous languague, Kurt Godel showed (by corellary)
that
> any PL8 language must be either consistent or complete - but not both.
Oh,