Re: Unambiguous Language WAS: MEME: A.I.: Artificial Intelligence

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 09:10:34 MDT

At 1:28 AM -0700 6/19/01, Samantha Atkins wrote:
>Patrick McCuller wrote:
>>

>> Very funny! Still, even that might not suffice. There are
>>many dictionaries,
>> and all do not agree. Because definitions contain words, and we
>>relate to each
>> of those words, we would all have to have exactly the same understandings of
>> all English words.
>>

>And, unfortunately, many dictionaries long ago gave up actually
>defining words in terms of actual meaning but instead only list
>usage patterns. This is why a dictionary is seldom useful for
>settling a disagreement on what a word actually *means*.

A good point, but I'm headed back to the original topic. :-)

Language should be completely unnecessairy for SIs (at least when
communicating with other SIs). It should be no trouble for an SI to
issue a command like 'cp ~/memory/idea03723 /Alice/memory/incoming/',
where Alice could then look at it and decide if it should become part
of here real memory. BTW, don't read anything into the way I put the
directories of where files are. Actually, here's probably what it
would have to look like:

gordon% cp ~/memory/idea03723 /Sysop/Alice/incoming/
sysop# checkidea -Fa ~/Alice/incoming /* | echo --user Alice
alice% (after seeing the ideas incoming to ver) evaluateidea
/Sysop/Alice/incoming/*
alice% cp [list of ideas to accept] ~/memory/[new idea numbers]

checkidea stand in for the Sysop making sure no bad messages get
through. The options are just hypothetical, but Alice has things set
to get Friendly messages and to check them all, even if the Sysop is
already pretty sure they're not okay. Some of these Unix commands
have been modified to make it more obvious what they do. ;-) And,
BTW, sorry for all the Unixisms, but I couldn't help myself. :-)

--
Gordon Worley
http://www.rbisland.cx/