Re: Effective(?) AI Jail

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 02:35:02 MDT

Evan Reese wrote:

> [...]

You missed my point. This dip did wipe out a lot of high-tech
companies, including at least one strong AI effort, and halted
the creation of many more. Sometimes I wonder if it was by
accident or part of a ploy to slow things down for a bit
longer.

Also, I think it is a serious mistake to think that
technological singularity is inevitable. A serious cultural
revolution, a world war, America being overrun by a repressive
fundie government, changing the code of the internet enough to
make it a tool of massive regulation and oppression - these and
other things could wipe out a lot of our most cherished dreams
and assumptions for at least our lifetimes and that of our
children.

- samantha