Re: Effective(?) AI Jail

From: Jimmy Wales (jwales@bomis.com)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 12:00:05 MDT

I think this is the best response yet.

The problem I have with the "get out of jail" scenario is that I don't think it is
reasonable to think that an SI that we build can magically (?) exercise mind control
over us. I just don't see any evidence to let me to suppose that would be true.

But yes, I agree completely, that sooner or later, after talking to enough people, it
will come to have influence sufficient to talk us into letting it out.

> So, we should build it Friendly, not build it any old how, and then try to keep it in
> jail. No jail can hold an SI for long, if it's smart enough that people on the outside
> really want to talk to it.

The only thing I might add to this is that we can only _try_ to build it to be good.
We're unlikely to know for sure if we've succeeded or not.

--Jimbo

*            http://www.nupedia.com/            *
*      The Ever Expanding Free Encyclopedia     *