Re: Effective(?) AI Jail

From: Brian Atkins (brian@posthuman.com)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 00:00:07 MDT

Jimmy Wales wrote:

> I don't agree with Eliezer. At any rate, I think that the onus is on him to
> prove such an extravagant claim... or to at least supply evidence tending to show
> that it is true.

Well here you run into the familiar (should be familiar to you by now)
problem of existential risks. We most likely can't know the answer to this
issue either way until we actually could test such a situation out. And
even then you run a big risk if it turns out that Jimmy/James is wrong. So
what I'm trying to say (along with Eliezer) is you have to be conservative
when it comes to these kinds of risks, and make choices based more on what
can go wrong, even if the perceived probabilities are low.

So the onus is on you :-)

--
Brian Atkins
Director, Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence