Re: JOIN: Durant Schoon (on behalf of Ben Goertzel)

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 00:11:25 MDT

The following message is sent on behalf of Ben Goertzel.

-- -- -- -- --

===========================

Hi Durant

> So what about this mysterious software system I envision?
>
> Basically, I want to encode all knowledge and processes in a
> single system and represent it all graphically (2D / 3D
> whatever). Imagine visually sorting a linked list and storing
> relevant information about memory and speed characteristics
> (O(n) etc.) of the algorithm. Then building in layers of
> abstraction to allow all sorts of metaphors (functional
> isomorphisms) between heterogenous systems (all the while
> optimizing as necessary to beat the costs of abstraction).
>
> Now wouldn't that be a lot prettier and more fun than nasty old
> Mizar syntax? If Eli would just put out a version of Flare,
> maybe I could start working on that graphical front end :) When
> you want to understand a beautiful algorithm, isn't the best
> way (for humans) is to see / play with a graphical animation?

Let me humbly suggest a place to start here

We created a knowledge representation language at Webmind Inc. called
KNOW.
It's not that different from some other KR languages, but I think it's
more
natural and usable...

Processes can also be expressed in KNOW, though the initial emphasis in
developing the language was on declarative knowledge. A process is
representable as a particular kind of higher-order relation.

The attached spec describes KNOW. The representation of processes in
terms
of KNOW is currently not described except in proprietary documents, but it
could easily be extracted from them.

A KNOW visualizer would be a nice place to start, in my view...

ben

[The attached KNOW spec overflowed a Majordomo limit, and has been changed
to a URL pointing to Ben's site. The main content was reposted at Ben's
request. -- Eliezer]

http://www.goertzel.org/papers/KNOWSpecification.htm