Re: The Tao of the Sysop Scenario

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 18:40:23 MDT

"Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" wrote:

> Nonetheless, to accuse Friendly AI of being contaminated by
> Judeo-Christian ideas, or to analogize between the Sysop and God, is to
> display Western parochialism. Any culturally sophisticated antagonist
> should accuse Friendly AI of having been contaminated by Taoism and Zen
> Buddhism.

I have seen it likened to the Tao and to Brahman and to other decidedly
non-western super-human entities. So I don't see that western
parochialism can hold.

I don't think there is contamination per se. I do think that both a lot
of Singularity thinking and drive and various religious mythologies,
symbols and insights grow out of the same nature and conditions and a
mutual desire for transcendence. So, of course there will be
similarities and correspondences.

- samantha