Re: Extreme programming

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2001 - 16:08:16 MDT

Fabio Mascarenhas wrote:

> [...]

Unit tests are written with at least a given partitioning of the problem
domain into language constructs, API and so on. If they are really
thorough they may also reach further into implementation details below
the encapsulation level. If implementation decisions and/or design and
even what is required are changing and evolving then the unit tests will
have to change also. This means that unit testing cannot replace design
or see if the system "still works" when the definition of "works" is
itself in flux.

Pair programming is a waste. It slows down productivity to the LCD of
the programmer's individual abilities minus the communication overhead.
It can work when a programmer/designer is stuck or needs a new view of
the problem but not as a general practice.

But I will refrain from further comments on this as it has nothing to do
with SL4 that I am aware of.

- samantha