Re: Convincing wealthy benefactors to back real AI research

From: Brian Atkins (brian@posthuman.com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 23:34:24 MDT

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> And businesspeople, who tend to have the $$, don't tend to be particularly
> flexible in their conceptual frameworks, as compared to say, artists,
> musicians, scientists,.... Success in business is often driven by a certain
> narrowness of mind, which enables the narrowness of focus that is often
> crucial to business success. At least that's been my impression.

Would you say that even of tech companies? Tech people tend to also pride
themselves on being able to "think outside the box", in fact that phrase
is a mantra. There's hope yet... as long as they don't all go bankrupt...
It is a shame that many people, from Wired Mag to everyday programmers, seem
to be becoming more conservative in their outlooks. Now is not the time to
try to go back to the 1950s.

(I see in your later post you backed up a bit)

--
Brian Atkins
Director, Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence