RE: Convincing wealthy benefactors to back real AI research

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@webmind.com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 19:05:16 MDT

Hi Brian,

Your points are very well taken

I am seriously considering raising funds for 2 separate entities

-- a nonprofit org dedicated to creating "real AI" by continuing the work on
the Webmind AI Engine

I think I can get $$ for this, in a modest amount sufficient to support,
say, 12 guys in Brazil and 3 in the US. This should be enough to get the
system finished within a couple years.

I note that some of the investors I think I can get, may be too mentally
conservative to believe in the Singularity, but may still believe that
"real AI" research is a cool thing and should be funded

-- a for-profit company focusing on the existing and proven technology
components leveraging particular technologies from within the AI ENgine.
This company of course will use further results as they come out of the real
AI research group, under some appropriate legal arrangement, but won't fund
far-reaching AI Dev in itself

I'm suspecting that this bifurcation will make fundraising easier, as
investors rightly like to see a tight focus in the organizations they invest
in.

However, all this will likely have to wait for the bankruptcy court to
finish doing its business with the existing Webmind Inc., and I'm not sure
how long that will take... ;(

ben