Re: offtopic: Fermi Paradox, evolutionary filters, and life on Mars

From: Brian Phillips (deepbluehalo@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 12:54:59 MST

Just as a crazy "what if" question.
What if the development of strong AI (Friendly or otherwise) is a
threshold/filter with a really really high kill rate?
  Say it is extremely difficult to develop workable uploading or strong
superintelligent AI... and full nano, any form of FTL, and near-lightspeed
travel is not possible without "transentience"....(say the odds for THIS
threshold are one in a billion, not one in a million like the others)
  You might have civilizations bottled up in a star system or a very few
adjacent
systems for their entire life-cycle....assuming you need a strong AI to
pilot
a relativistic nanoship to spread to a star not in your immediate stellar
neighborhood?
Would that be an intuitive hypothetical fix for Fermi?
  For an example..one might speculate that only a species with a
"convenient" analogue
of neurophysiology ever manages to upload, and uploads are a neccessary
intermediate
step between biological life and transsentient AI.

brian

/