Re: offtopic: Fermi Paradox, evolutionary filters, and life on Mars

From: Brian Atkins (brian@posthuman.com)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 10:28:58 MST

Mitchell Porter wrote:

> --- Brian Atkins <brian@posthuman.com> wrote:
> > If there is no detectable intelligent life besides
> > us in this galaxy, and
> > apparently no where it could have gone (other
> > universes, etc.), that makes
> > me strongly believe we are in a simulation. But on
> > the other hand the
> > increasing evidence of dead life on Mars would seem
> > to point the other
> > way... in which case- where the heck are they?
>
> Remember the concept that technological intelligence
> requires passage through a number of evolutionary
> filters. First you have to have life, then
> intelligent life, then starfaring life, and only
> in the last case is the Fermi Paradox a problem;

Well I was thinking about this from the point of view of a sysop (or us)
going all around the galaxy looking both for life and signs of previous
life. Even if a civilization failed to make it to the stars you should be
able to find their home planet and see some artifacts still there (or goo).

--
Brian Atkins
Director, Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence