Re: Envisioning sysop scenarios Re: Universal Uplift as an alternativeto the Sysop scenario

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 22:09:10 MST

At 6:23 PM -0500 3/21/01, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
>mind. The main point is that Gordon Worley seemed to think a group of
>cooperating Terran UFSIs would be a better protection for the Solar System
>at this point - would minimize total suffering - due to an UFSI's superior
>grasp of battle tactics, or an FSI's unwillingness to tolerate any
>casualties whatsoever, or something like that.

Okay, first to clarify my current position, because it has changed,
or at least I think that it has. First off, my problem with relying
on FSIs for defense is that they will not be willing to sacrifice
some in order to save others. My guess is that an FSI is going to
try to save everyone and end up not saving anyone. That, or the FSI
will hold back vis power for fear that ve might hurt others, rather
than the UFSI.

As for the cooperating team deal, I'm not sure how that applies here.
I would not advocate having a team over a single SI for defense. In
fact, the single SI would probably be more efficient. I've been
thinking about this, and from what I can tell, post Singularity, this
will be the best method of defense. At first I supposed that it
would be like with humans, where distributed forces are much harder
to take over than concentrated forces, but I have since come to
understand that, with SIs, distribution is not as important as
capability. 20 weak SIs will loose to 1 SI, even if both sides have
the same number of cycles, since the strong SI can execute attacks
that 20 weak SIs, even working together, could never pull off or
could only do much more slowly than the strong SI, who would have
destroyed the weak SIs before they could complete their attack (due
to latency and such).

So, post Singularity, we may all pay SI Joe to defend are part of the
universe and as long as ve does a good job, ve can keep vis job. If
ve's not working out, maybe I'll start paying SI Jane for defense.
At any rate, I can see that SIs will be dealing with enough fire
power that it will beyond the capabilities of an SI even distracted
slightly from a devotion to defense to protect verself and others.

--
Gordon Worley
http://www.rbisland.cx/