Re: Envisioning sysop scenarios Re: Universal Uplift as an alternativeto the Sysop scenario

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 16:23:58 MST

Justin Corwin wrote:

> 1, seed reactive nano-bots which will kill humans if tampered with, or if
> some external action is taken by the Friendly SI, limiting the FSI's
> actions.
>
> 2, sieze control of a non-essential bit of computronium, which unfortunately
> contains sims, and hold *hostage* against FSI action.
>
> 3, blast any populated star system with hard gamma radiation, forcing FSI to
> protect any sims there and waste resources.

If things get that far... but never mind. I agree with 1 and 3. I'm not
quite sure about 2, since the action of the UFSI is predicated on being
able to predict the reaction of the FSI, and the FSI might use the "I do
not negotiate with terrorists logic" or a variation thereof... but never
mind. The main point is that Gordon Worley seemed to think a group of
cooperating Terran UFSIs would be a better protection for the Solar System
at this point - would minimize total suffering - due to an UFSI's superior
grasp of battle tactics, or an FSI's unwillingness to tolerate any
casualties whatsoever, or something like that.