Envisioning sysop scenarios Re: Universal Uplift as an alternative to the Sysop scenario

From: Brian Atkins (brian@posthuman.com)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 22:47:10 MST

A sandbox is indeed a good way to envision that particular scenario. The
sysop monitors things, and simply prevents ("throws an exception") certain
things (a bullet being fired out of the gun when you try to kill some poor
human) from happening since it inhabits/controls the matter.

Another possibility would be to have a "guardian angel" style, rather than
a hard sandbox. This depends on certain feasibility issues (can the sysop
arbitrarily protect you from everything in the area of its control), but
might be more appealing to the average person. So, someone can fire a bullet
at you, but you have a choice and it either bounces off or is otherwise not
effective at hurting you.

In either case the sysop must control the matter. If someone was allowed
to both create a competitor SI to the sysop, AND it was allowed to gain
control of the matter then it's all over for Sysop #1.

Is it possible to have other scenarios where the sysop does not infect
all the mass in the solar system, while still ending all evil? I think it
could be done through heavy surveillance, including both real and virtual
realities. But this would be more dangerous IMO since if someone escapes
the surveillance, and builds a competitor SI that then infects all the matter
then you've got problems.