Re: Newcomers

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 20:40:22 MST

At 9:48 PM +0000 3/20/01, arctic fox wrote:
>I know that us newbies may cover old ground and might not be a bit
>naive to contribute to some of the high level discussions but there
>needs to be a forum for people new to the singularity ideas to
>discuss matters. I understand that lurking on the mailing lists and
>reading recommended books and web articles helps but the best way to
>learn is by discussing and debating key ideas.

Just try to jump in when you can. That's what I did and, if you read
the archives, after just a bit of trial and error I was able to make
productive posts. You just have to know what to write and what not
to. Stay away from the basics on this list. Get on that crazy
Extropian list if you want to discuss this stuff. Feel free to use
me as an example to learn from, though my posts aren't always what
they should be.

>> > At 4:38 PM -0500 3/15/01, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
>>Gordon, we discussed this in the "Beyond evolution" thread, and we heard
>>your own opinions in the "Learning to be evil" thread. I don't think we
>>need to reopen the discussion at this point.

I know, we pretty much stone walled on this one, and I just grumble
about it every now and then so that everyone doesn't just assume that
we have to be Friendly and submit to the Sysop. I'll try harder not
to do it, or at least be more subtle about it until my anarchy meme
has propagated enough to overthrow the Sysop. ;-)

--
Gordon Worley
http://www.rbisland.cx/