Re: How To Live In A Simulation

From: Durant Schoon (durant@ilm.com)
Date: Sat Mar 17 2001 - 20:38:33 MST

> From: James Higgins <jameshiggins@earthlink.net>

> By the way, has anyone given any thoughts to what happens to kids when we
> discover the Singularity? I've put a hold on the possibility of our having
> kids for the moment due to this line of thought. Assuming we are in the
> *real* world and will be the first to get to the singularity, I am fairly
> worried about what happens to individuals deemed too young to evolve. Has
> anyone else thought about this?

Too young to evolve?

Why can't a 3 year old human be uploaded and then mature in a virtual world?
In fact the maturation process would probably happen much more rapidly. We
could even imagine uploading our pets and then giving them linguistic modules
(soon they'll want Tensor-Calculus modules followed by Buffy-The-Vampire-
Slayer mods) I haven't read David Brin's Uplift series, but those might be a
good read.

I'm sure that parents everywhere will have strong attachment to their children
and would clamor to have their physical progeny uploaded at any age (maybe
even fetii...In Silico Fertilization, anyone?)

--
Durant