RE: dawn of neurohacks

From: Patrick McCuller (patrick@kia.net)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 10:37:47 MST

> Brian Atkins wrote,
> > Wanna bet? This is the kind of thing where after a few people publicly
> > start doing it, I bet the rest will come running to do it too. Especially
> > if these are seen as "naturally occurring genes" that many children are
> > simply "missing".
>
> I will bet anything or any amount of money on this. (Come on, make me
> rich!)
> 2004 is only 3 years away. We can't even get genetically engineered corn on
> the market in a few years. I can't see human genetic engineering becoming
> "common" in less time.
> Harvey Newstrom, Security Testing Manager, Fiderus

        There are millions of millionaires in the US alone, and millions more in the
world. Wealth is fleeting; few families can hold onto it for more than eight
or ten generations (look at the Fuggers.) Money can pass away in a moment.
Genetics can't be taken away, and it goes on and on... what better legacy?

        In all seriousness, I will put my money into genetic engineering for my kids
right after shelter, health, and education.

        They're already getting ready to clone pets in Texas. Genetic Savings and
Loan is putting away pet DNA right now.

        Not only that, but there are services which put away human stem cells at
birth. That's biological planning for you. These services are growing fast.

        Human DNA can be and has been altered before and after birth (cystic fibrosis
comes to mind.) The technology is there. The will is there. The only thing
left is the market, and look how well DVDs are doing four years after launch.

        The time is right for human GE startups.

Patrick McCuller