RE: Computer-aided? (was "no subject")

From: Michael LaTorra (mike99@lascruces.com)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 15:09:18 MDT

One might ask "Which comes first, the superintelligence or the
superhardware?"

I believe Eliezer is probably correct in thinking that an AI of
human-intelligence level (and even somewhat greater) can be built on the
hardware designs now extant or coming soon based on extensions of
conventional technology. Call them the first-level AI's.

But to have a Superintelligence capable of improving itself indefinitely
(call it the n-level AI) will likely require far more powerful hardware. And
to help us design that hardware we will probably need those first-level
AI's.

So, to answer my own question, I would say that we need first-level AI's for
building the hardware required for n-level AI's.

Regards,

Michael LaTorra
mike99@lascruces.com
mlatorra@excite.com