Re:

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 15:07:39 MDT

Josh Yotty wrote:

> How the heck is the AI going to eradicate us?
> We could unplug the thing if it went beserk.
> Besides, it can't generate it's own power source. It needs us.
> I say the AI will decide it needs us to keep running.

Why would you assume that all AIs are going to only be in a conventional
box with a power cord? We are headed into a space fairly quickly where
computers of vastly more power than we have today may be in the very
air. Long before we get there there will be computer/human or
computer/robot beings that are independent of needing to be plugged into
the wall and ware capable of self-protection.

For truly human or better grade AI at full computer speeds what makes
you think you could "pull the plug" or in any way control it when it
thinks a million times faster than you and sees you coming miles away?

- samantha