Re: JOIN: Joshua Yotty

From: Brian Atkins (brian@posthuman.com)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 13:15:57 MDT

Whee how the lives of 16 yr olds have changed since I was there 10 yrs ago :-)
Well, for some of them at least... gotta love the Internet.

P.S. you might enjoy the following lists if you aren't already on them:

sing@egroups.com (or did this also move to sysopmind.com?)
extropians@extropy.org
transhumantech@egroups.com

Josh Yotty wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have a feeling that I am the youngest member on the list (16 years old;
> tell me if someone is younger). I am going to give a short bio.
>
> I have always been very intelligent. Ninety-ninth percentile on all those
> boring standardized tests.
>
> Being in high school SUCKS. I hate it. But, it is a necessary step, and so I
> will have to live through it.
> Mostly what bothers me is that people around me have nothing better to do
> than consume valuable resources and entertain each other.
>
> I didn't want that job.
>
> I was incredibly depressed over not so much all the teasing but the thick
> headedness of everybody around me.
>
> So I figured, heck, why not get a laugh? I went to Ask Jeeves and typed in
> those six words:
>
> "What is the meaning of life?"
>
> Expecting to crash the system or something. I don't know.
>
> I was more than surprised that it came back with an answer. I was intrigued.
> I clicked on it.
>
> Wow. It made a lot of sense. So I read more. And more.
>
> And now I'm here, writing this e-mail.
>
> And that's it. Good bye for now.
>
> "If we are having an information explosion, then why are people so
> stupid?!??"
> -
>
> Josh Yotty
> | Orion Digital |
> oriondigital@techie.com
> http://www.crosswinds.net/~oriondigital/
> FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com

Brian Atkins
Director, Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence
http://www.intelligence.org/