Re: [SL4] Greg A's big idea

From: Greg A (greg.a@facttechnologies.com)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 07:43:48 MDT

Yes and no.

When I wrote I wrote the original message, I was obviously in a very excited
state. Your way is a much calmer and clearer way of explaining it.

You have to understand that fact-based computation is not the same thing at
its heart as the kind of computing that computers do now. I think that
humans do it routinely as part of our linguistic capabilities, and that it
is essentially a kind of semantic processing.

I'm saying that we have the technology, RIGHT NOW, to build machines that
*accurately* imitate the function of real-world biological neural systems,
and that fact-based computing is the key. (Don't even ask about me about
consciousness. Try asking Searle. :] )

http://www.facttechnologies.com/newworld and
http://www.facttechnologies.com/newworld/diary.html have explanations that
are better than the babble I flooded SL4 with a week ago. That's where you
should look to see the essentials of what I'm pointing out.

- Greg

P.S. I will repost the last message I sent to the Minsky team. I would love
it if anyone can provide ANY verification of what I'm talking about, in part
or in whole. Beating the academic institution to the punch would be a
perfect example of what I'm talking about. It's the Rosetta Stone for my
argument.

P.P.S. We have a LOT longer than 30 days before it would even be possible to
have a network of Saylor-Codd devices do anything resembling brightness on
its own. In the meantime, it is an excellent technology for getting
organizations of humans to work together. This is a technology that can be
deployed very carefully (if I'm even right in the first place).

P.P.P.S. Thanks for your interest. Tell a friend. The suspense of not
knowing whether the math will bear this out is kind of killing me. :)