Re: [SL4] AI Ethics & Banning the Future.

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 19:45:43 MST

From: "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience@pobox.com>

Marc Forrester wrote:

> Eliezer S. Yudkowsky: Thursday 17-Feb-00
> > Hypothesis? This ain't no hypothesis.
>
> O-kay. So replace 'Hypothesis' with 'Hypothetical Near-Future
> Situation [Fictional (Likely)] for Creative Cognition and Chat'.

No, what I meant is that it's already happening. The Norns have
trainable neural networks; they speak and can solve logical puzzles.
And, as the aforesaid webpage shows, certain people are having fun
torturing them.

> Yeesh. Pedantry from an SL4? We're all doomed.

That wasn't pedantry, of course, but even if it had been, I believe in
perfection. (Actually, since "perfection" implies stasis, I should
perhaps say that I believe in flawlessness.)

--
               sentience@pobox.com      Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
                  http://pobox.com/~sentience/beyond.html