Re: [sl4] Re: META: closing the list

From: Gwern Branwen (gwern0@gmail.com)
Date: Sun May 15 2011 - 14:11:39 MDT

From: Mark Nuzzolilo (nuzz604@gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 12 2011 - 17:05:18 MDT
> Therefore, you should take this up with Eliezer directly. Anything else would be a waste of time, and therefore, my short and
> to the point rhetorical question about your time-management ethics should have been more useful than everything else you
> have said here so far combined, but rather you decided to dismiss what I had to say as a lowest common denominator. Pity!

I don't see how I could possibly have extracted all of that from
'don't you have better things to do'.

Regardless, I regard this argument with even more revulsion than the
first. Perhaps I could have gotten SL4 shut down with just a private
email to Yudkowsky. But I would not do that, any more than I would
send a Goatse link to my grandmother or I would email Jimbo Wales
complaining about an unreferenced line in the Obama Wikipedia article
- that would be a profound violation of the norms. Legally Yudkowsky
may own the servers etc., but that's utterly irrelevant to the
community question of whether to dissolve the email list.

From: Felipe Barros CorrĂȘa de Oliveira (felipeahura@gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 12 2011 - 22:06:34 MDT
> So, should I head to Less Wrong? Any other places I should visit?

The previously mentioned websites are good, yes, which is why I
covered them and not random Reddit or Digg statistics, eg.

Besides Less Wrong? There's Hanson's Overcoming Bias (already
mentioned); Kurzweil's website has a lot of news and busy forums,
although I've spent very little time there. And so on.

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 12 2011 - 20:36:15 MDT
> I agree with others that preserving the archives is important. I have referenced Corwin's AI boxing experiments, for example. This type of data is found nowhere else.

Yes, people keep saying this... I've made a wget --mirror of SL4.org,
and put it up at
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5317066/15-05-2011-sl4.org.tar.7z This is a
20M 7zip file which decompresses to a ~420M tarball which untars to
~480M. I have also used linkchecker to generate a list of URLs on
SL4.org, which will gradually be fed into Internet Archive and WebCite
per my previously linked practices.

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net