Re: Copying nonsense (was Re: [sl4] Uploading (was : goals of AI))

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Dec 06 2009 - 12:44:53 MST

Rewot Fetterkey wrote:
> Can you clarify that? How, exactly, is consciousness nonexistent?

By consciousness, I mean that which makes you different from a philosophical zombie as described in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie
But by definition, a zombie is not distinguishable from you at all. I really don't know how much more clear the logic could be.

The problem arises because all animals, including those that have no concept of death, have evolved a fear of those things that can kill them. Humans do have such a concept, which we associate with a lack of conscious experience. So we all desperately want to preserve this thing that does not exist. We can't help it. We are programmed that way.

One way to deal with this conflict is to argue that the zombie argument is wrong and create ever more convoluted arguments to refute it. My preferred approach is as follows:

1. I believe that I have conscious experience. (I am programmed to).
2. I know that conscious experience does not exist. (Logic irrefutably says so).
3. I realize that 1 and 2 are inconsistent. I leave it at that.

 -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com