RE: [sl4] Uploading (was : goals of AI)

From: Bradley Thomas (brad36@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 03 2009 - 19:07:33 MST

>There wouldn't be a problem if the programs were an inputless virtual
environment with conscious inhabitants. You could run it on any general
purpose computer with enough time and memory and the result would be just
the same, independent of the actual hardware. If you are living in such a
virtual reality now there is no way you could know anything about the
details of the hardware you are running on, or notice any change if the
hardware is changed.

I can somewhat agree with all that but this uses a notion of identity that
is purely based on introspection. Surely any useful idea of identity enables
an external observer to find sameness/equivalence. If I imagine another
universe that is running just like ours, only its been going faster so we're
all older in that universe, I still find it hard to say there's any useful
notion of equivalence between the two universes *except* inasmuch as one
predicts the future of the other.

Brad Thomas
www.bradleythomas.com
Twitter @bradleymthomas, @instansa