RE: [sl4] Uploading (was : goals of AI)

From: Bradley Thomas (brad36@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 02 2009 - 16:29:30 MST

>A computer program running on two machines in parallel could produce two
streams of consciousness in lockstep.

Nice idea in theory but in practice this set-up is out of lockstep almost
immediately since no two processors run at exactly the same speed. That's
not to mention that as soon as you introduce input (necessary for a
consciousness) then the systems differ substantially in their exposure to
external entropy. Divergence may not be huge to begin with but any
divergence is sufficient to show that they are not the same consciousness.

Brad Thomas
www.bradleythomas.com
Twitter @bradleymthomas, @instansa