Re: [sl4] Uploading (was : goals of AI)

From: Mike Dougherty (msd001@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 16:37:17 MST

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Suppose there was a program that simulated you so well that nobody could
> tell the difference between you and the program in a Turing test
> environment. What is the probability that the program will be you after you
> shoot yourself?
>
> after "You" shoot "Yourself"? Is it homicide or suicide?

1) You(p) shoots You(~p)
2) You(~p) shoots You(~p)

Or does #1 suppose the answer you are asking about?

If the "nobody" in question is inclusive of the subjective experience of
both You(p) and You(~p) then it probably won't matter. If You(~p) is aware
that it is in fact NOT You(p), then it would matter only to You(~p). Of
course, in either case of You(~p) being dead, it would matter very little to
the continuous You(p). However, it might matter to You(~p)'s friends that
You(p) is no longer able to show up to in-person events and makes up
increasingly convoluted (yet completely You(~p)-sounding) excuses for why
You(~p) didn't show up. I guess once everyone has completely migrated to
You(p)'s digital environment it will once again not matter that You(~p) is
gone.