Re: [sl4] Re: goals of AI.

From: Matt Paul (lizardblue@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 25 2009 - 01:46:17 MST

On Nov 25, 2009, at 1:24 AM, "John K Clark" <johnkclark@fastmail.fm>
wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 "Matt Paul" <lizardblue@gmail.com> said:
>
>> No I don't find it strange that there are aspects of existence that
>> we
>> can't currently detect or measure.
>
> And yet those mysterious aspects can be detected and explained by Matt
> Paul. I find that strange but no stranger than what medieval
> theologians
> thought.

I didn't say I could detect or explain them. I am putting forth the
idea that they may be there, and if they are then they would be
significant in terms of developing a super AI.

Look at it this way:

We certainly exist in 3 dimensions and I'm sure many would say 4.
Science theorizes that there are at least several more dimensions to
existence.
We work basically in 3 dimensions. We exist in 1 and 2 and 3 at the
same time. Our framework for operating in the world is based on 3 ( or
4) dimensions. Right now we would build AIs in 3 or 4 dimensions.
Supposing other dimensions exist, and the fact that we exist in all
known dimensions it seems likely that we also exist in these other
dimensions.
If that is the case, then what are these aspects that reside in the
other dimensions? Maybe imagination, intuition, creativity, etc are
products of some other dimensional aspect of ourselves, no less real
than our third dimension.
Would any dimension be insignificant baggage? I think not.
So I have this idea that imagination is a part of intelligence, and
possibly it isn't in the 3 dimensions we work in consciously.