Re: [sl4] The Jaguar Supercomputer.

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Tue Nov 24 2009 - 00:53:40 MST

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 "Matt Paul" <lizardblue@gmail.com> said:

> Ok, this is probably gonna get me banned

Could be, I've been slapped down more than once by the owners of this
list who are too intellectually lazy and cowardly to tolerate anyone
from stating something that is mathematically bloody obvious, the
Friendly Artificial Intelligence emperor has no clothes. It's very clear
that some things are just too shocking for a shock level four list and I
think that is shameful!

> what exactly the perceived value of the AI you guys discuss

I don't understand the question, value for who? A Jupiter Brain has
enormous value, just not for us.

> beyond normal scientific desire to understand.

That's enough for me.

> Fascinating and cool certainly, but I don't see the
> actual benefits to mankind.

I doubt it will be of any actual benefits to mankind either, almost
certainly the exact opposite would be closer to the mark, but
fascinating and cool are enough for me. Good thing too because like it
or not that is what is going to happen.

> I do see many potential problems for mankind though...

Sure but you didn't think our species would be here forever did you? 99%
of all species that have ever existed are extinct. At least our species
will leave interesting children developed by our mind, something all
those other extinct species cannot say. It's not much but it's the only
comfort I can offer; and I am far more likely to get banned for the
crime of saying the truth than you are.

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark