Re: [sl4] The Jaguar Supercomputer

From: Mu In Taiwan (mu.in.taiwan@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 18 2009 - 19:20:22 MST

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20091118/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_ibm_brain_mapping

1. Asserts IBM simulated 1% of a human cortex this year.
2. Not using fastest machine in the world.
3. Assuming that J.C. is correct with his observation of 'moore's law
squared' (not improbable given that the graphics industry achieved moore's
law CUBED for a good many years...)
4. That means about 5 years from now we can expect to have machines capable
of simulating 100% of a human cortex.
5. If they're running at 1/100 speed like the other examples, add another 5
years for real time.
6. Maybe sooner - I suspect as IBM gets closer to their goal, money will
pour in.

funny how these things creep up on you...