Re: [sl4] The Jaguar Supercomputer

From: Alejandro Dubrovsky (alito@organicrobot.com)
Date: Tue Nov 17 2009 - 04:10:41 MST

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 00:43 -0800, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

> Top 500 has zero -- repeat *zero* -- relevance to AGI. None. Zip.
> Nada. It benchmarks a code that is completely orthogonal to
> essentially all AGI workloads, and selects for systems that typical
> AGI workloads would scale horribly on. Top 500 is scaling because it
> increasingly excludes almost all useful workloads outside of an
> extremely narrow application space.

That seems like way too strong a statement to me. Firstly, top 500
gives you something like an estimate upper bound on the performance of
almost any code you might write. It tells you how much you are giving
up by not making your code more linpack-like.

Secondly, some code, eg simple computer vision algorithms, don't look
that different from linpack, and might scale just as well. It seems
wrong to call those algorithms as having absolutely nothing to do with
AI.