Re: [sl4] Alan Turing's results are profound

From: Robin Lee Powell (rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org)
Date: Thu Oct 15 2009 - 11:50:03 MDT

- --------------

Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 10:25:23 -0700
From: John K Clark <johnkclark@fastmail.fm>
To: sl4 sl4 <sl4@sl4.org>
Subject: Re: [sl4] I am a Singularitian who does not believe in the Singularity.

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 16:12:02 +0000, "Randall Randall"

> they're [FAI people] suggesting that there can and should be a highest-level
> goal, and that goal should be chosen by AI designers to maximize human
> safety and/or happiness. It's unclear whether this is possible

It's not unclear at all! Turing proved 70 years ago that such a fixed
goal (axiom) sort of mind is not possible because there is no way to
stop it from getting stuck in infinite loops.

- --------------

In this, and other places, you've asserted that a mind that
continues to care for something long term must have a "fixed goal"
mind, and must therefore get stuck in infinite loops.

I've pointed out, repeatedly, that there are human minds that both
care for things long term and do not seem to get stuck in infinite
loops.

You have never responded to this claim, but that's what I was
repeating below.

I'm certainly not going to apologize for correctly paraphrasing you.

-Robin