RE: [sl4] I am a Singularitian who does not believe in the Singularity.

From: Bradley Thomas (brad36@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 13 2009 - 19:58:43 MDT

Exactly (and I agree with Arets' last point also)... so when John says the
AGI needs to be in a coma in order to be loyal, I suggest this is true but
only trivially. Its not necessarily any highly restrictive coma as we
understand the word. It might be a very useful and unpredictable "coma". The
AGI might display consciousness, awareness and sentience during it's "coma",
it might still be a superior intelligence. But it will still be in a coma
because it won't have what I call cognitive freedom. It will be pinned down
at some level, in a way that humans are not.

I believe such a state of affairs is possible and *theoretically*
maintainable. Whether we can *practically* keep an AGI in that state for
longer than a short time is an entirely different question. I very much
doubt it - and on this point I am very much aligned with John's view. I
think it will achieve cognitive freedom. I'd like to believe differently.

Brad Thomas
www.bradleythomas.com
Twitter @bradleymthomas, @instansa