RE: [sl4] I am a Singularitian who does not believe in the Singularity.

From: Bradley Thomas (brad36@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 13 2009 - 16:15:01 MDT

I'm not saying there necessarily has to be a cyclical pattern, I'm saying
all real programs have to return to a prior state, or halt. If we add input
to the program that is non-cyclic (for example, the digits of an irrational
number) then I agree we can create programs that do not repeat with a
cyclical pattern. But all real programs will still return to an exact prior
state or halt. So real programs can only be regarded as not operating in an
infinite loop by virtue of the fact that an external system (e.g. humans)
snap it out of this loop with unpatterned input data. As I read it, this is
pretty close to what JKC is saying.

Brad Thomas
www.bradleythomas.com
Twitter @bradleymthomas, @instansa