Re: [sl4] I am a Singularitian who does not believe in the Singularity.

From: Robin Lee Powell (rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org)
Date: Tue Oct 13 2009 - 12:20:28 MDT

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 11:08:25AM -0700, Charles Hixson wrote:
> Or if the data is occasionally altered by some external factor.
> E.g., if your memory isn't perfect, and occasionally does
> bit-flips (possibly due to quantum processes).

Silly anecdote time.

I dunno from quantum, but cosmic rays actually *do* cause bit flips
fairly regularily in real life:
http://www.ida.liu.se/~abdmo/SNDFT/docs/ram-soft.html

Sun Support, for a long time, had just the wrong form factor of
cache RAM on its CPUs for this sort of thing; very dense, very
physically large (inches on a side). Support actually told me that
they had a cosmic ray database; a certain kind of crash/reboot was
almost always caused by cosmic rays, but people couldn't just go
back to their boss and say "Enh, cosmic rays", so they had a
database; the first time it happened, they'd enter the CPU in, and
if it happened again, they'd replace it.

-Robin

--
They say:  "The first AIs will be built by the military as weapons."
And I'm  thinking:  "Does it even occur to you to try for something